compensation: 13.00/hour + potential full time benefits employment type: employee's choice
QR Code Link to This Post
Dewees Island is small barrier island that is under a conservation easement. We take pride in the preservation of the beautiful environment and wildlife. The private island is also home to residents who share the same passion for the environment.
Currently, the Dewees Island POA is seeking a part time Mate (deckhand). Candidates must be reliable, self-motivated, customer service focused.
Essential Job Functions The following tasks are representative and not to be considered all-inclusive
• Assist the Captain with the safe operation of the ferry; properly handle the lines on the ferries.
• Act as a “lookout” for the Captain, especially when the ferry is backing away from the dock and when the waterway is busy. At times, the Captain may have limited visibility. Be thoroughly familiar with the man overboard and fire procedures, be able to drive and dock the boat in the eventuality the Captain is unable to.
• Assist passengers with the loading and off-loading of luggage and goods to and from the luggage cart staging areas.
• Log in all passengers using the Ferry Access System; Monitor access to Dewees; Non-approved passengers are not permitted on Dewees Island. It is the responsibility of the Mate on Duty to politely handle dismissal of non-permitted guests.
• Keep an eye on passengers when vessel is underway, especially small children.
• Clean up all trash, dry off any wet seats, sweep the decks, clean windows, straighten newspapers and magazines, clean vinyl seats, monitor any other items that pertain to keeping the boat clean and presentable.
• Make sure the mail is on the boat each day when delivered and notify owners (if possible) or island staff of any parcels that have been delivered. Bring over and distribute newspapers for Island subscribers. Load newspaper machine daily.
Customer Service Standards
• Communicates and interacts with members of the community to provide exceptional customer service. • Acknowledges homeowners and guests, greets them with a smile and positive attitude. Be courteous and polite.
• Treat customers and coworkers with respect.
• Maintain a neat and clean appearance; wear the proper uniform and keep it cleaned and pressed properly Complete other tasks as assigned.
Work Environment Job requires daily ferry rides to and from the island. Work is performed outdoors regardless of weather conditions. Willing to work in hot, humid, and wet conditions. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
Shifts: Morning: 5:45 am (6:45 am on weekends) – 1:45 pm Evening: 1:45 pm – 11 pm (midnight or 1 am on Friday/Saturday nights). Must be able to work holidays and holiday weekends.
Education and/or Experience. High School Diploma or equivalent. At least one year of vessel experience required, including handling and splicing of sheets, lines, tackle and mooring equipment. Some knowledge of coast guard regulations and boating safety required. Any combination of related education and/or related experience will be considered.
How to Apply Please send resume and statement of why you are interested in the position. Serious inquiries only.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers